- Setup time: a few months to a few years
- Age threshold: 18+
- Time of payment: varies on a case-by-case basis
Buying and selling websites are relatively simple. After purchasing a site, optimize its content for search engines, generate revenue, and sell it for a profit.
It’s an ideal money-making project for anyone who enjoys website design, improving SEO, and enhancing user experience.
Not all websites have future value, so knowing which ones to buy and invest in is essential. A good rule of thumb is picking the ones already generating revenue and traffic. Moreover, websites with a popular niche and a premium domain name are easier to sell at higher prices.
Here are a few marketplaces for finding websites to purchase:
- Flippa. Lets people all over the world buy and sell domain names or websites with varying niches.
- Latona’s. Browse websites and online stores for sale using various filters.
- Empire Flippers. Sells profitable websites with a wide range of monthly revenues, from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- SideProjectors. A platform to buy and sell digital projects like websites, eCommerce stores, apps, and domain names.
There are some factors to consider to avoid making a bad website investment.
The first is to ask for a proof of concept, revenue report, and the site’s current monetization methods. Then, check the traffic’s volume and sources. These are good indicators of a website’s potential.
It’s also a good idea to ask about existing site issues and verify why the original website owner is selling it in the first place. Finally, double-check the seller’s background and avoid buying sites from anonymous brokers.