- Setup time: at least a few hours – users need to sign up on the website, take product photos, and create product listings
- Age threshold: 18+
- Time of payment: once every week or every ten days
Selling or renting out second-hand items is another excellent way to make money and a great motivation to start decluttering your space. Furthermore, selling used items can be a way to save money since you are only selling items you already have.
After inventorying the items you want to sell, take high-quality product photos before listing them on online marketplaces. If you plan to do this long-term, consider making a website to host your own online store.
One of the most popular second-hand items categories is clothing. The market value of the second-hand clothing industry is projected to reach $77 billion by 2026. Therefore, it’s a good time to start your own secondhand clothing store.
Many online marketplaces cater to the second-hand clothing and accessories market. Here are a few examples:
- thredUP. An online consignment and thrift store for buying and selling high-quality secondhand clothes.
- Etsy. An excellent marketplace to sell unique handmade or vintage items.
- Depop. A popular platform for selling vintage and designer goods, like pre-loved T-shirts, sneakers, and jewelry.
Other than clothes and accessories, you can make good money online by selling other used items such as furniture, gadgets, sports equipment, and cars. In the United States, the used car market grew significantly in 2021 and is predicted to remain strong in 2023.
Some of the best online selling sites for used items are eBay, Gadget Salvation, Swap.com, Reverb, and Fat Llama.