- Setup time: a few days to a few months, depending on how much time you spend taking the photos and footage
- Age threshold: 18+
- Time of payment: every month or according to the chosen payment schedule – differs across websites
If you’re an avid photographer or videographer, consider selling stock photos and footage to generate passive income. You’ll be able to pursue your passion and make money simultaneously.
Many companies and business owners use stock content in their marketing campaigns, ads, and websites. In addition to the standard stock photo format, companies constantly look for fresh ideas and unique perspectives to make their brand stand out.
You can make a photography website and sell photos there. It’s also a good idea to sign up for online marketplaces and list your digital downloads. That way, you’ll get a head start at cultivating your personal brand while promoting it to potential buyers.
Some of the biggest stock photography and videography websites include:
- Shutterstock. Offers multiple earning levels based on the number of image and video licenses per year.
- Getty Images. Pays at a royalty rate of 15-45%, depending on the license exclusivity agreement.
- VideoHive. Deals in stock videos as part of the larger Envato ecosystem. The earnings depend on the number of items sold and whether you sell exclusively on the platform.
- Dissolve. Specializes in selling high-quality stock videos and photos, with a standard royalty rate of 30% of the net selling price for non-exclusive contributors. Exclusive contributors can make more money with rates that are available upon request.